Oh My Blog is a monthly interview series, where fellow bloggers come together to answer a series of questions on a specific theme. This is a chance to get acquainted with a whole range of bloggers, some of whom you may not have heard of before, and learn a little more about them! You can read lasts month's here which featured the lovely Jade from mummies waiting.
This month the theme is mum's (Mother's Day is coming 26th March) and we're hosting Gem from Life is Knutts.
1. Introduce us to your mum. What’s her name? What does she do? Reveal her age if you dare!
My mum is a Supermum. I would literally be lost without her. Her name is Janet and she is (shhhh) 60. Age is but a number.
2. What’s the one thing your mum always used to say to you?
“Three. More. Mouthfuls”.
Urgh, I hated eating as a kid and I can vividly recall my mum saying this to me almost every mealtime. Now I am a parent, I can completely understand how annoying it is when one of your kids won’t eat so I sympathise with her completely. That said, at the time I just wanted to launch my plate at the wall...
3. Someone’s playing your mum in a film. Who is it and why?
Julie Walters. I love Julie Walters anyway but my cousin is also adamant my mum looks like her so it would have to be lovely Jules.
4. She’s won the lottery. What’s the first thing your mum buys for herself?
Goodness me. That is a tough one. I would say a holiday. Life is all about experiences, not things, so I am pretty sure she would get on the computer and book herself a nice holiday somewhere like the Maldives.
5. What embarrassing story about you does she always tell when you meet new people?
She doesn’t do that to me, thank goodness! Honestly, she is an utter legend my mum and hasn’t ever said anything to make me feel awkward in front of people. I told you she is ace...
6. What are your plans for Mother’s Day this year?
Probably a family dinner where my husband cooks and me and mum clean it all up. Standard. We might manage a walk somewhere if the weather is ok.
7. What’s her favourite TV show at the moment?
Call the Midwife. She really loves it.
8. What’s the biggest or most important thing that your mum inspired you to do?
Be kind, thoughtful and work hard. My mum genuinely is a lovely person, and I like to think that some of her personality has rubbed off on me. She is such a
wonderful mum and Nanny to my kids - if I can end up being half as wonderful as she is I’ll be very happy.
9. Your round at the bar! What’s your mum drinking?
Mum has a newfound love for cocktails. She would probably be sipping on a Pornstar Martini (passionfruit and vodka...yummers!) given half the chance. Failing that Prosecco or Champagne, but nothing too dry.
10. What’s the biggest different between you and your mum?
Hmmm. I’m not sure! We are really alike in a lot of ways. I would say I am more creative than mum in that I like playing instruments, crafting, baking. Mum seems to think she isn’t creative but I beg to differ.
11. Most important question of the lot. What is your mum’s stance on 50 Shades of Grey? Does she love it? Hate it? Not even know what it is?
Hahahaha!!! She knows what it is, but I am 99% sure she hasn’t read it or watched it. She isn’t a prude but isn’t really into books and films like that. I think they’re a bit crap too as it goes (sorry 50 Shades lovers!)
12. What’s your favourite memory of your mum?
Seeing her face when she met her first Grandchild. I have loads of lovely memories of my mum but I can vividly recall her holding Luke for the first time and seeing the emotion on her face. It’s so lovely and something I will never forget.
13. What do you think your mum was like as a kid?
Quiet. Shy. Nervous. My mum had a very tough start in life and was estranged from her parents from a young age. They weren’t very nice people sadly and she deserved a hell of a lot better. Thankfully she has an amazing Auntie and Uncle who treated her like their own and she met my Dad when she was 16 and he then looked after her. She has done incredibly well despite an awful start in life and I am very proud of her.
14. Cast your mind back a bit; what was the thing you did as a child or teenager that made your mum the angriest she has ever been with you?
I recall trying to get a fountain pen to work in my newly decorated bedroom by shaking it...with the lid off. Needless to say the ink had, unbeknownst to me, splattered all over my new wallpaper and curtains. She was really not impressed but knew my Dad would be even madder so allowed me to stick some posters on the wall. I am pretty sure he doesn’t know about that until this day. Let’s hope he doesn’t read this eh?! Hahahaha!!
15. Finally, what’s the BEST piece of advice your mum ever gave to you?
Have a go. She has always encouraged me to try things, never said no to me attempting something new and has always been supportive. What more could you ask for?! I am truly a very lucky girl to have a mum like Janet. Love you lots like Jelly Tots Mum.xxx
If you enjoyed getting to know Gem and her Mum, you should definitely head over to her blog and social media to find out even more!