For Fathers Day this year we have opted to make daddy a hamper full of lots of dad goodness. We have bought a few things to add to the hamper and we are making some things too. One of the things we are making (again) is Bacon & Cheese Beer Bread, this was the trail run of making it as I wasn't sure how it would taste. Obviously my tester team (mum and my sisters) and me thought it tasted good enough to be added to the hamper which is why I'm sharing it with you.
12oz Self raising flour
3oz of sugar
330ml beer of your choice
2 slices of bacon
1. Pre heat oven to gas mark 5, and mix the flour, sugar and beer together in a bowl. This will make a thick batter type mix rather than a dough mixture that you would usually expect when making bread.
2. Fry the bacon so it is just slightly under cooked then chop into small pieces and add to the batter mixture.
3. Cut some of the cheese into small chunks (I used just over half) and add this into the batter mix making sure it is all mixed in. Pour the the batter mixture into a pre greased loaf tin or similar.
4. With the rest of the cheese grate it and sprinkle all over the top of the batter mix and place in the oven for 40-50 mins or until golden. I checked on the bread after 35 mins and used a prong and the mixture still needed longer so I would advise doing this.
5. Place on a cool rack, once cool slice that bread add a bit of butter and enjoy.
I found this really simple to make and I really enjoyed eating some too. I think this would be great not only for a Father's Day treat but also as a little side part at a BBQ or a starter for a nice steak dinner.